Tuesday, May 26, 2009

ALC Officer Elections - update #3

We will soon be announcing a date for the ALC officer elections. In the meantime, here is an updated list of candidates for office.

PRESIDENT


Maria-Paola Matheus

My name is Maria-Paola Matheus and I want to run for President of this great organization. Like many of you may already know, I am currently a junior at the Awty International School but have spent four years at Westchester Academy for International Studies. I am a part of the Honor Society, French Honor Society, Model United Nations, and Student Council among other things. I have had the opportunity to work for a hospital where I help many people in need. Through my job, I have learned to be more hard working and determined whenever I have a task at hand, all of which would help me be a better President of the organization. I have been part of the organization since the beginning of this school year and I have attended the majority of the meetings. I believe attendance is crucial because we can not do anything if people do not try to keep themselves apart of the organization. As for Amigas Latinas for College, I see that there could be some great potential. To make the organization bigger and better run (especially for Virginia Baxt, the founder), we could attempt to do many new things and activities. We could have a spring carwash along with community raffles (you would be surprised at how many companies are willing to donate things and services), community bake sales, and Amigas Latinas for College merchandise. Thus, we could bring in much more money. We could also try to do much more to help out with the college process. That would include visiting more colleges and arranging more people to come talk to us that could guide us in the fields we want to possibly go study in. I know that each of us is going to succeed in getting into college. We all can do this. I would enjoy being President because I am productive and I am a people-person, listening to what each and every one of you has to say. So please, elect me as next year’s President: you will not regret it. Thank you for taking the time to considerate me for President.

Carolina Mendoza

I would like the opportunity to run for the president position of ALC. I believe I meet the criteria needed for this position. I have been a commited member of the club since 2006. This year I was the communication officer and was responsible in fulfilling all of my duties. During my time in the club, I feel I have increased my knowledege in leadership and responsibilty. I am certain that I am more than ready to run for President of the club. During my three years in high school, I have achieved many accomplishments. Some of these accomplishments include being a Honor Roll student for two consecutive years, completing 80 hours of community service, and being involved in other clubs. My freshman year I was involved in the Latin Rhythm Club, performing for my peers in the school pep rally, gaining confidence. My Sophomore year I was involved in the French Club which gave me a chance to experience French culture. I learned the fundamentals of their language and cuisine. My Junior year has been by far the most productive. I have had the chance to be part of the Best Buddies club in my school which is an organization that mentors children with special needs. Being a part of this club has aided me into becoming a more mature person. Since a young age I have been extremely passionate and interested in the field of culinary arts. My freshman year I enrolled in Introduction to Culinary Arts, the following year I enrolled in Baking and Catering, and finally my Junior year I interviewed for a position in the Chef Training program offered to students who were highly interested in the field; thankfully I was able to be part of the class and accomplished a semester of duel credit college hours receiving training from a professional chef. At the end of the program I attained my Serv Safe certificate. Receiving the certificate at such a young age was a huge accomplishment and I'm honored to have the opportunity to gain it. The certificate will increase my chances of aquiring a job in a professional kitchen. As I get closer to becoming a senior, I am eager about my future plans of attending Le Courdon Bleu in Austin. I will be able to finally make my passion into a career. Being a member of the ALC club for the past three years has been a great experience. I would be incredibly honored to end my last year in the club as the President of Amigas Latinas for College.

Priscila Cevallos - updated

As President of Amigas Latinas for College, I will create a focused and united group of motivated girls. My strive to fulfill the ALC’s mission: to increase the number of Hispanic young women who succeed in achieving goals of higher education, my unwavering work ethic, and my amiable and compassionate manner will all be qualities that will be maintained. As President, I intend to bring leadership and commitment to Amigas Latinas. I believe in Amigas Latinas and I believe that if we want to go far, we must go together. Next year I hope to inspire all the girls of Amigas Latinas to unite and help each other achieve their goals and dreams.

Priscila comes from an international, multicultural background. She was born, raised, and attended her first school in Germany, then moved to Brazil where she resided for two years, and later traveled to the United States, where she has lived ever since. Priscila is also fluent in four languages: Spanish, Portuguese, English, and German. She is entering her junior year at Westchester Academy for International Studies, and is starting the International Baccalaureate Program in the fall. At school, she is involved in Model United Nations, serving as a delegate for Bulgaria and Bosnia and Herzegovina at the Rice and University of Houston Conferences, respectively. She is also in German National Honor Society and National Honor Society at her school. This year Priscila participated in the Odyssey of the Mind Competition, receiving first place at regional’s, and second at state, and traveled to Maryland to compete with teams from around the world. Priscila started a Med-Club for Girls at her high school and led a Blood – drive in March of 2008, gathering more than 83 pints of blood. She also commenced a Bioneers Club, the purpose being to become aware of leading an environmentally sustainable life at home, at school, and in community, and learning the steps to do so. Cath Conlon and Pat Greer interviewed her, on their Eco-ology radio show, about the Youth Bioneers Club in the spring. Priscila is on the board of the Bioneers Youth Committee, in charge of organizing and planning the first ever Texas Youth Bioneers Conference at the George R. Brown Convention Center. Priscila has been practicing ballet for over 10 years with the Houston Ballet, Allegro Ballet, and many others, and was featured in the world premier of Storm Recaptured when she was 14, dancing one of the lead roles in the ballet. She is an intern at KPFT’s Human Rights Show and has conducted interviews with people from all over the world. She was invited to speak with LaVerne Williams at the Art Institute of Houston and at the Bats on the Bayou Convention over the participation of the youth in environment. In November, she was invited to attend, on a scholarship, the training to become a facilitator of the Awakening the Dreamer, Changing the Dream Symposium in Texas, made by the Pachamama Alliance. Priscila is one of the few teens involved with the program and ever since the training, has facilitated many symposiums around Houston and at home. She co-facilitated a workshop with Heather Harder, who had been a previous presidential candidate, on Leadership in Women. At the beginning of the summer, Priscila cooperated in the neurological research project led by Harvey S. Levin, Ph.D from the cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory at Baylor College of Medicine, and Mary Newsome who is the assistant professor of Dr. Levin. The purpose of the project was to study the brain scans of certain brain-injured children and compare them to healthy children. Priscila was also invited to attend a Money & You Workshop on a scholarship, and is now part of a team, working on a project to bring a business workshop to students in high school and college. Recently, she was involved in the Blackwood Nature Camp for 8 – 13 year olds as a counselor, receiving CPR, first aid training, and leadership experience in a course of three weeks.

VICE PRESIDENT

Natalia Sanchez

I would like to nominate myself for the officer position of vice-president. I have been to almost every meeting and event there has been since I joined Amigas Latinas for College, and I've seen just how much lack of commitment there is in some of the group members. I think I would make a good vice-president because I really like and care about this group, and I actually make an effort to be an active member. I connect with a lot of the girls in the group and I've become friends with them as well, and that has made it easier for all of us to work together. I have some ideas for ALC to work on next year. It would be very helpful if we could have more writing workshops where we could all get together somewhere with some mentors and have each one of us work on whatever essay we need help on. We had something similar to this at the HEB room, where it was a "work on anything you need" workshop, and some of the college girls helped us. We should also have more volunteering opportunities where EVERYONE is required to go to because these are things that would make any resume look really good, but a lot of the girls don't realize that, so only about 5 or so show up to these events. Also, we should have some fun meetings so that everyone can just get to know and get comfortable with one another because sometimes it's hard for new members to get used to everyone else already knowing each other. Those are just some of the things I have in mind right now, but I would definitely like to have some input towards what ALC is going to look like next year, since it will be my senior year as well.

TREASURER

Cynthia Hernandez
I would like to nominate my self for Treasurer. I'm very responsible and I'm good at remembering things as well as reminding people when things are due.







COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER

Victoria Cárdenas

I would like to run for Communications Officer for the 2009-2010 school year. I strongly believe that communication is instrumental in the success of any organization. I would make a good officer because I am responsible and have the technology skills to share information between ALC members and the community. I would make sure to let all ALC members know when and where meetings are scheduled, and ensure they come as well.


5 comments: